Boondock Ramblings

A little bit about a lot of things

I challenged myself this weekend by deciding I’d use a photo as the basis for a 300-word flash fiction piece idea. I challenged myself to make it 300 words, no more, no less. This was the photo:

And this is what came from my freeflow writing session:

The Sacrifice

Standing at the top of the stairs leading to the Catholic school next to the church the man froze, a cold chill shivering through him. He couldn’t do this. He didn’t want to do this. Continuing this farce was killing him. He pulled at the stiff, white collar around his neck. It was suffocating him, not physically, but in every other way.

“I want to be a priest.”

Had he really said that to his mother all those years ago?

Had her look of delight been the only reason he’d kept pushing forward, attended seminary, and was only a few hours away from being confirmed as a priest? He knew it wasn’t, but it was a big reason. He’d made a promise, to her, to himself, to God. But now, standing here, ready to walk into the reception hall where dinner was being held before the ceremony, he felt sick to his stomach.

He wanted to honor God, but did honoring God mean sacrificing all that God had created for man to enjoy?

Did honoring God mean sacrificing her?

He closed his eyes, drew in a deep breath, and let it out again.

He had made a commitment. A commitment to be married to Christ, to His will, and His direction for his life, not to his own human desires. As much as his heart and mind screamed at him to turn around, to not take one more step down those stairs, he knew he had to ignore them both.

To sacrifice was to be closer to God.

To sacrifice meant understanding Christ’s sacrifice more.

Isn’t this what God wanted? For him to understand Christ more so he could show Christ’s love better?

He took a step, heard her voice behind him, and stopped.

12 thoughts on “The Sacrifice

1. Bettie G says:

I love your fiction! Even when I don’t like the cliff-hangers! haha.

Liked by 1 person

2. kaiserswest says:

Ok. That stunk! What happens next????

3. alimw2013 says:

Oh goodness!! The ending…The suspense….
    Great job, captivating for sure!!

Liked by 1 person

1. I am thinking I might focus on fiction, short stories, or novellas from now on. Full novels are so stressful and time consuming. lol.

Liked by 1 person

1. alimw2013 says:

I bet so but I’d truly love to read the farmer’s daughter once it’s all finished!!

Liked by 1 person

2. I actually had some time to sit down and work on it last night so that was nice. Maybe I’ll actually finish it this year! 😜

Liked by 1 person

3. alimw2013 says:

Awesome!! I am just not a good online reader so when I read some of it and then get behind and can’t catch up then it just frustrates me… I’m better with a book in my hand LOL

Liked by 1 person

4. I don’t blame you. I have to get better at formatting paperbacks. Hopefully this upcoming novella will give me some experience at it.

Liked by 1 person

5. alimw2013 says:

Yes practice is so important and helpful ❤️

4. Chel Owens says:

“I could change your religion,” she whispered, her lips soft against his face. 🙂 Seriously, though; excellent tension.

Liked by 2 people

1. Lol! That could be the next line for sure

Liked by 2 people

So, what do you think? Leave me a comment! I love to meet new people and chat with ones I already know!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s