Boondock Ramblings

A little bit about a lot of things

My daughter flopped back on her back in our backyard the other night, looking up at leaves brilliant red and orange and declared, “I love fall.” A few moments earlier, though, she had told me she didn’t like Fall because “I don’t like when everything dies.” About-to-be-6-year olds are fickle, I suppose, but they’re also starting to think deep at that age, which I don’t really like.

I thought I’d share a few more autumn photos today to distract us all from the tension in the world these days.

I also thought I’d share the photos of my dad’s farewell to his old straw hat, which was in very rough shape and he decided had to go.

We had a very solemn (not really) ceremony where we burned the hat while playing funeral music, saluted it, and then talked about the fact that it was probably over 100 years old and maybe we should have saved it afterall.

My son even cried at one point – or so we thought. It turned out he had smoke in his eyes.

29 thoughts on “More of autumn and burning Dad’s hat

1. Also does Dad have horses now?

Liked by 1 person

1. No. Those are the Kellogg’s horses — which I know you probably really know.

1. I don’t know, or really know either, the Kellogg’s horses. 🙂

2. I mean selleck’s not Kellogg

1. Or Selleck’s either. 🙂

2. Oh I thought you did — I’ll message you later about where it is

2. Was that the same hat used in the famous photo of him? If so, aw, I’ll miss it… And when I saw “burning Dad’s hat”, I thought he was burning his MAGA hat. 😉

Liked by 1 person

1. I don’t see him burning that hat — much to your disappointment 😉😂 but yes, it is the hat in that photo everyone liked.

1. It was getting rough.

3. Michelle says:

I feel the same way as your daughter – I love fall at the beginning but I do hate when everything dies at the end.

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too. Winter is very hard for me ….

4. alimw2013 says:

Oh and I love that you share the beauty with us through your amazing photography!

1. I take the photos I might as well share them 😃

5. alimw2013 says:

Oh the hat!!!😬❤️
    Such beautiful photos, I love that you get to experience this beauty!! Remind me what state you’re in— Virginia?

1. alimw2013 says:

Oh yes okay!!! So pretty!!

6. Autumn is looking good in your neck of the woods. We’ll be looking like that very soon. I had to smile at your dad’s hat — my father had an old straw cowboy hat he wore every time he mowed or worked outside. It was in pretty bad shape too.

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s when my dad wore his too. He just decided it was time for it to go. It will be a bit weird not seeing it on his head but we will find him a new one.

7. Chel Owens says:

Such a beautiful area.

8. kat says:

Gorgeous pictures! Fall doesn’t visit Southern California, so I’m enjoying the season vicariously through you. Today’s temperature is supposed to top out at 102, so, yay…

Liked by 2 people

1. My husband used to live in Southern California and haaaaated it. We’re not allowed to talk about Southern California in our house 😂😂😂 Our high today is 57 😳 I know I couldn’t handle 102!

1. kat says:

Completely 100% don’t blame him, haha! If it weren’t for my parents being so close by, we’d definitely be living somewhere with better weather. Your high is very chilly to us, but I’d rather take that than something over 100, during the fall.

9. Bettie G says:

Thank you for bringing a smile to my heart this morning! I love those gorgeous autumn photos! Our color here is just beginning to show, which is a little late for us here in Wisconsin. I hope your Dad finds another straw hat that is just as dependable as his previous one!

Liked by 2 people

1. He found one but says he doesn’t like it as much as the old one. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

So, what do you think? Leave me a comment! I love to meet new people and chat with ones I already know!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s