Sundays are for family

Sunday’s are family day and usually reserved for spending the afternoon at my parents, about an hour away. 

If we’re actually moving like we should, it’s church and then afternoon lunch and naps with mom and dad (grandma and grandpa). Well, it’s nap time for some members of the family because Sundays are when Miss G decides she doesn’t need a nap and would rather follow “pop pop” around to see what trouble he, she and J.G. can get in together. 

Last Sunday was Mother’s Day and after a dinner of beef brisket cooked by Grandpa, J.G. was chased off digital devices and outside to play. He asked Grandpa to play catch so Grandpa went all out and actually found baseballs and gloves.

This left me with my Mommy Goggles on and chasing the two year old out of the way so one of the very hard baseballs wouldn’t hit her in the temple and leave her unconscious and on the way to the hospital. Yes, this is how a mommy’s brain often works.

Once Grandpa realized playing catch was irritating the wrist he recently had surgery on, Uncle Bryan took over and Grandpa walked Miss G to see the blueberry bush and apple trees that are starting to bloom.

Uncle Bryan and Aunt Kim visited this week, which happens mainly in special occasions because they live further away from our parents than than us in the big city of Wellsboro, Pa. Bryan is my brother but I try not to tell a lot of people. (Heh. Heh.)

Miss G used to be afraid of Uncle Bryan, but now he’s someone she likes to smile at and pretend she’s being shy with. This visit she peered at him around a corner on the front porch and said “you okay, Uncle Bryan?” After he assured he was and was simply enjoying reading a book on the front porch, she came back in the house and said, with a shake of her little head, “I hope uncle Bryan okay.”

Uncle Bryan said later that not only did the exchange with his niece impress him but his nephew also thanked him for playing catch with him and then stopped, turned around and said, “I love you.” It was apparently a heart melting moment and I wish I had witnessed it, but if I had I probably would have just cried.

Miss G was too excited that day to take a nap and instead burst into tears halfway home and begged me to hold her, which I couldn’t do since I was driving. She passed out hard about ten minutes from home and stayed asleep when her daddy carried her into the house, which is a rare occurrence.
We ended the evening curled up in bed and I fell asleep at 9:30 , the earliest I’ve fallen asleep in probably a year. It was a nice ending to a day that didn’t start out very nice after Miss G decided she didn’t need to sit in her car seat. That exchange is a story for another day.